Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Wyoming

              Two weeks into the road trip and time is starting to go more quickly. Our second major stop in the trip landed us in Jackson, Wyoming. The drive from Colorado to Wyoming consisted of some of the vastest landscapes we had ever seen. There were only a couple of small towns that we encountered on our nine hour drive. Our next stop will be Yellowstone for a day hike and then Idaho for more kayaking.
                Our only plans when arriving in Jackson were to go backpacking in the Tetons before moving on. Plans changed when we walked into Rendezvous paddle shop and discovered a close knit paddling community that were quick to show us down some of the best local runs. They introduced us to the local community of young dirtbags who work during the day and live out of their cars by night. We fit right in. Big shout out to Porter, Matt, and everyone else in the Rendezvous crew for the hospitality.
                The Grand Tetons are always a presence around Jackson. We spent a few nights sleeping under the stars on a ridge overlooking the Tetons before exploring them by foot. We went backpacking in Garnet Canyon and stayed at a camp spot called the caves. We were lucky enough to get the whole campsite to ourselves. The second day we climbed to the lower saddle, the highest part of the Tetons that we could reach without rope. What I thought would be a casual day hike turned into a minor mountaineering expedition. We found walking sticks that we used as ice picks to cross large snow passes. Getting to the top required following a loose trail, climbing through vast alpine boulder fields, and making some sketchy snow passes. Towards the top everyone else at the base camp was decked out in gear. We looked out of place with our hiking boots and sticks. Getting down proved to be the real adventure as I decided to slide hundreds of feet down a very steep slope covered in snow. We missed our target path and found ourselves in a survival situation as we had slid down to a sketchy rock island over a massive cliff. The way back required blazing a trail through steep snow and ice patches where a slip could result in a 300 foot plunge. We remained calm and did what we needed to do. Without any protective gear and only a stick to balance myself, I kicked foot holds in the snow and crossed step by step towards safety. Falling was not an option, but certainly a possibility. Once Sam and I had reached safety we reflected upon our encounter with serious danger. The mountain had gained my respect. I won’t underestimate the dangers of the alpine again.
                I’ve had a lot of time to think during the past week. The nature of my experience has taught me things that people from home may have a hard time to relate to. The wild nature of my lifestyle is showing me parts of me I never knew existed. Men are part wild animal and part intellectual. Our intellect separates us from the animals that we think ourselves to be far superior, but a man is still an animal. We have built a society to tame ourselves. I want to experience this wild inside of me. I feel alive as I dance with the danger of the river in my kayak. I feel the fire pushing me to survive as a slip and scramble up a snowy cliff overhanging certain death. I feel the simple pleasure of falling asleep under the stars as the breeze lightly flows through my hair. These raw experiences make me feel human, it makes me understand what I am. I can’t describe these simple truths that I am discovering any more than one can describe the feeling of being in love. It is something you have to experience for yourself and it doesn’t come easy. I can’t find real meaning in distractions we have created to entertain us in society. I think it is ironic that people call our working adult society “the real world”. The world I am experiencing is more real than anything else I have ever been a part of. 

One day soon I will rejoin the workforce as a contributing member of society. Not yet though, I have much more to learn. When I do come back it will be with purpose and it will be under my own terms.

Most Pictures Taken by Sam Lupo. Insta: @fruitlupsfordinner



Wyoming

No comments:

Post a Comment